Ruby on Rails Backend Engineer
- Award winning FinTech startup
- Opportunity to learn and grow your skills
- Competitive salary
Valiant Finance is an award-winning FinTech startup that helps Australian small businesses compare and apply for loans from over 70 of Australia’s leading lenders.
We run an entirely cloud based architecture which supports thousands of Aussie business owners, advisors and partners every week. Additionally, our platform powers commercial lending for a number of large enterprise banking partners.
We're currently experiencing rapid growth, and are looking for an experienced Ruby on Rails backend engineer to join our engineering team on a full-time basis in our Surry Hills office.
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about engineering and technology, can solve technical problems and is able to communicate problems and solutions with ease.
What you will be doing
- Designing and building RESTful APIs for consumption by our front-end applications and partners.
- Designing solutions to satisfy our high availability, security and performance requirements.
- Designing and building solutions to securely authenticate our end-users and partners.
- Integrating with external services such as Salesforce, Xero, Contentful, Auth0 and Cloudflare etc.
- Designing our database architecture to satisfy our growing needs while maintaining security and performance requirements.
- Writing well-structured, easily maintainable, tested and documented code.
- Mentoring junior engineers.
You have experience with the majority of the following technologies / best practices:
- Minimum 2-3 years of commercial Ruby and Ruby on Rails experience.
- You have integrated with multiple external services via api.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as Rspec or mini test.
- Experience with Jira or similar agile development tools.
- Experience designing and maintaining both public and private REST APIs.
- Experience designing and maintaining authentication solutions.
- Experience managing high volume background job processing.
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Willingness to embody Valiant's three core values:
- Get S#%t Done
- Thrive in The Pride
- Be Customer Champions
Bonus points if you have experience with or have attained:
- Security best practices (e.g. OWASP).
- Synchronising data between multiple distributed systems.
- Ruby on Rails or similar MVC frameworks.
- Applications running in high-volume production environments.
- Applications with high availability SLA's.
- Financial services (in particular, lending or corporate finance).
- A computer science degree.
What we offer
Valiant employees are given extensive ongoing training and development, along with the tools to take their skills to the next level.
With a brand-new office in the heart of Surry Hills, we pride ourselves on having an open, dog-friendly, and empowering workplace where innovation is recognised and rewarded.
On Fridays, we celebrate the team's success with drinks, table tennis and other fun games.
Interested in joining The Pride? Awesome!
We’d love to hear about some projects you’ve worked on in the past and what excites you about technology and Valiant.
Please get in touch with Kris at [email protected] by including a cover letter, your CV and a short summary of some projects you have worked on that meet some of our requirements.
Valiant is an equal opportunity employer, and we're actively working on growing a diverse team. We do require permanent residency or Australian citizenship, and the successful applicant must undergo a financial services background check.
We will endeavour to respond to all applicants who fulfil the minimum requirements.⬅ Back to Careers